Swing Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne
The Swing Bridge is located on the Quayside linking Gateshead and Newcastle. The bridge is an important part of the industrial heritage of the North-East and opened in June 1876. The bridge allowed trade to continue upriver and facilitate significant economic development, which had previously been blocked by the stone bridge. In its heyday it was swinging up to 6000 times a year; nowadays it swings primarily for maintenance only. The bridge is both Grade II* listed and a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Patrick Parsons have been appointed by Port of Tyne to review and recommend improvements to the bridge, we have submitted the relevant planning applications and consents and are awaiting planning permission.