Associate Structural Engineer
5 July 2022
We have an excellent opportunity in our Birmingham office, for an experienced Associate Structural Engineer to join our forward thinking multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy.
The purpose of this role is to assist with the management of the Structures team, overseeing the day to day running of projects, attending project meetings, being a key contact for clients, contractors, other project consultants and technical lead for the design team. This person will motivate, inspire and support the professional and personal development of a strong team of engineers and technicians.
- Assisting with managing the Structural design team, ensuring the provision of efficient high-quality structural engineering design
- Prepare fee proposals, including resources and programme
- Manage structural and multidisciplinary projects from inception through to completion
- Responsible in leading the quality and the timely delivery of multiple projects running concurrently, including the preparation of the Design Scope of work as well as the technical designs of projects
- Co-ordination and management of other discipline inputs into multi-disciplinary projects
- Develop detailed methodologies, delegating preparation of tasks as appropriate
- Assess resource requirements at each stage of the project
- Deliver projects within timescale, budget constraints and quality expectations
- Determine the need for and attend project progress meetings
- Oversee the response to design queries during construction phase and attend site meetings.
- Set up projects and allocate budgets to work stages
- Ensure financial data is up to date and co-ordinate the timely and correct issuing of invoices.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly project workload and fee forecasts
- Actively manage projects to minimise WIP, and be responsible for the financial performance projects to which you are assigned
- Ensure that all project related documentation is kept in compliance to the Business Management systems, processes and procedures
- Anticipate challenges and project risks and recommend necessary mitigating measures, and where necessary relay to clients
- Develop the Structures team with a view to expanding its client base through compiling and implementing an effective business development strategy
- Work alongside the Business Development team in the preparation of structural and multidisciplinary PQQ and ITT submissions
- Develop and mentor engineers and technicians including conducting annual appraisals
- Develop and maintain staff resource plans across projects including identifying when the team needs additional resource
We strongly believe that great client service is based on quality, consistency, and reliability. Our promises guide our decisions, people, and actions to create experiences that make our clients feel cared for and listened to. You will show leadership through your own actions and by setting clear expectations for the structures team.
- If it matters to you it matters to us -we go the extra mile for our work, clients and each other. Again, you will show leadership through your own actions and by setting clear expectations for the Civils team to ensure we meet the needs of our team and our clients.
- We act with heart – we believe quality should speak for itself and we hold our hands up when we get it wrong. You will be a champion for quality and will coach and guide the Civils Team to ensure they learn and develop to be able to deliver quality reports and drawings for our clients.
- Be brave enough to be different – we’ll steer clear of the norms and support each other to find bold and exciting new ways of doing things. You will encourage innovation and creativity within the Civils Team and demonstrate this through your own work to deliver quality solutions to our clients.
At Patrick Parsons we insist on a culture of respect, recognising that our differences make us stronger. We refer to this as, One Patrick Parsons – our collective power that energises us to lead the way. At all times you will act in a fair, supportive and respectful manner whether dealing with colleagues or clients.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate excellent technical and project management skills
- Ability to build good client relationships
- A 2:1 degree in Civil or Structural engineering
- Chartered status in a recognised professional organisation or equivalent long-term experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven team management experience
- Extensive experience in Structural Engineering
- Practical experience of reinforced concrete and steel design to British & Eurocode standards
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well to strict deadlines under pressure
An excellent benefits package will be offered to the successful applicant which will include;
- Flexible working environment
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Birthday off work!
- Health Shield Cash Plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Workplace pension
- Training and development
- Sponsorship of professional membership
Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick Parsons is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds.