We currently have an excellent opportunity for an Associate/ Associate Director (Structures) to join our rapidly growing multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy in Newcastle. The role will include the delegation of responsibility as they see fit with a view to empowering the staff. The main duties are to manage the Structures team within the office on a day to day basis but also provide a mentoring role for the professional and personal development of all engineers and technicians.
The role will oversee the day to day running of a number of projects, attend project meetings, be the daily contact for the client, contractor and other project consultants and technical lead for the design team.
In addition, an element of the role will comprise the development of new business through provision of good service and cross selling through meeting and liaison with existing and potential clients.
• Managing the Structures design team in the office, ensuring the provision of efficient high-quality engineering design.
• Implement the business policies, objectives and strategy.
• Prepare and approve fee proposals, including resources and programme.
• Manage structural and multidisciplinary projects from inception through to completion.
• Structural design where appropriate and overseeing quality of design produced by the team.
• Responsible in leading the quality and the timely delivery of multiple projects running concurrently, including the preparation of the Design Scope of work as well as the technical designs of projects.
• Co-ordination and management of other discipline inputs into multidisciplinary projects.
• Develop detailed methodologies, delegating preparation of tasks as appropriate.
• Assess resource requirements at each stage of the project.
• Deliver projects within timescale, budget constraints and quality expectations.
• Determine the need for and attend project progress meetings.
• Oversee the response to design queries during construction phase and attend site meetings.
• Set up projects and allocate budgets to work stages.
• Responsible for reporting financial cost reports and cost variances.
• Assist in the preparation of monthly project workload and fee forecasts.
• Develop and mentor engineers and technicians including conducting annual appraisals.
• Develop and maintain staff resource plans across projects including identifying when the team needs additional resource.
• Recruitment and selection of new staff.
• Provide leadership, motivation, direction, instruction and assistance to assigned staff, set performance goals for staff and continually provide feedback regarding actual performance
• Ensure that all project related documentation is kept in compliance to the Business Management systems, processes and procedures.
• Anticipate challenges and project risks and recommend necessary mitigating measures, and where necessary relay to clients.
• Develop the Structures team in the office with a view to expanding its client base through compiling and implementing an effective business development strategy.
• Work alongside the Business Development team in the preparation of structural and multidisciplinary PQQ and ITT submissions.
• Ensure a profitable department.
Identify important factors relevant to this position such as the ability to work under pressure, managerial and project management skills, ability to communicate effectively, ability to work collaboratively and gain consensus, build high performance teams, exceptional technical skills, budget responsibilities, travel requirements, interpersonal skills, etc.
• Strong leadership abilities, especially motivating, coaching staff and communicating a clear vision
• Strong design capability
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization in a clear and concise manner
• Highly developed organisational skills and ability to prioritise
• Sound judgment, with decisive, consistent and fair decision making
• Independent, highly motivated self-starter
• Ability to set goals and plans to fulfill corporate objectives
• Ability to adapt well to changing priorities and situations without a loss of effectiveness
An excellent benefits package will be offered to the successful applicant which will include;
- Competitive salary
- Birthday off work!
- Flexi Time
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Health cash plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Pension scheme
- Training and development
- Sponsorship of professional membership
To apply for this role:
Please send us your CV, current salary package and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org