The role will provide the candidate with the potential to work on a variety of projects within various project sectors. Current projects include large scale energy and infrastructure schemes for major regeneration schemes in the north. Other projects will include Residential, Education and Commercial projects. Typically project value will range from £10M to £100M projects.
- To manage projects including allocated resources such as graduates and technicians. To oversee the day to day running of projects, attend project meetings, be the daily contact for the client, contractor and other project consultants.
- Maintain the Project Management Plan
- Represent Patrick Parsons as part of a Professional Design Team
- Develop and produce scheme design information as outlined in the Project Management Plan and the design philosophy/brief as agreed with the Project Manager/Principal Engineer.
- Assemble and ensure all calculations, drawings, correspondence and other project documents are in good order, in compliance with the Business Management systems, processes and procedures.
- Liaise with internal and external Design Team, Client and Contractors as appropriate
- Attendance at project and design meetings and site visits.
- Represents Patrick Parsons at Client and design team meetings.
- Attend project testing, commissioning of plant and systems.
- Manage projects from inception through to completion.
- Deliver projects within timescale, budget constraints and quality expectations.
- Determine the need for and attend project progress meetings.
- Respond to design queries during construction phase and attend site meetings.
- Communicate project’s critical issues in a timely manner to Directors and clients.
- Actively manage projects.
- Mentor engineers and graduates.
- Anticipate challenges and project risks and recommend necessary mitigating measures, and where necessary relay to clients.
- Take an active role in the development of the Building Services Division with a view to expanding its client base.
- Manage engineering projects to achieve short-term financial and time deadlines
- Supervise and co-ordinate the production of technical drawings
- Produce, check and verify calculations and specifications, scheme designs and project reports
- Follow project management, QA, environmental and health and safety procedures and ensure that more junior team members do so
- Maintain awareness of risk management issues on projects, taking appropriate steps to minimise risks and highlighting issues to management team as required
- Take responsibility for own Continuing Professional Development (including, if appropriate, working towards Chartership with a relevant professional body)
- Review designs produced by more junior staff, providing feedback as required
- Provide training and coaching to more junior team members. Act as a mentor to staff working towards membership of professional institutions
- Support more senior managers in ensuring that work is invoiced in a timely way and as agreed with the client
- (Under the guidance of a more senior manager) contribute to the preparation of submissions and fee bids as appropriate
- Actively participate in Practice initiatives associated with core engineering discipline (e.g. software development, improvement of technical standards, knowledge sharing, new codes and methods of working)
- Actively seek opportunities to become involved in Practice initiatives beyond core engineering role (e.g. marketing, recruitment, training, general Practice initiatives)
- Participate in marketing and business development activities by attending internal meetings and external events as appropriate
1. Complete timesheets on a daily basis, allocating time correctly against projects and work stages
2. Input into fee proposals, including resources and programme.
3. Work within the financial and program constraints and consider financial implications in producing design information.
4. Review project finances on Coretime on a regular basis to monitor the financial performance of the project, report any concerns immediately.
1. Understand and implement the company’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Patrick Parsons Company Staff Handbook
2. Understand and implement the company’s Health and Safety policy
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelors/master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Chartered or working toward Chartered Engineer status with either CIBSE or IET
- 3 years’ experience post qualification
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating confidence and professionalism
- Impressive client facing skills, experience of presenting to clients
- Be able to work collaboratively with others to form strong positive working relationships
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Solid technical knowledge of Electrical Engineering and general understanding of other building services disciplines and multi-disciplinary design
- Be willing to provide guidance to graduates and technicians
- Ability to work on own initiative, but also seek assistance when required
- Be able to evaluate technical and customer requirements to enable you to provide viable solutions
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.